This is a message about our the activity at Pearson throughout our start-up week.
School wide -
- All grades were welcomed back to an assemblies highlighting our focus on Building Positive Relationships within our school community and developing their own "Pearsonality". Respect for one another, their commitment to academics and becoming part of the afterschool life at Pearson were emphasized.
- Opportunity to get connected and sign up for the many clubs, arts and fall sports, was organized by Student Parliament who hosted a Club Fair during lunches.
- Our Spirit Assembly emphasized team effort in competing in some games, practicing of our school chant and cheering, and presenting some of the major events lined up by our Student Parliament for this year.
- Teacher websites are up and accessible; please keep in touch with our students' learning.
- Additional staff will be joining us on Monday, which completes our hiring for this semester: we welcome Ms. Vicki Le and Mr. Matt Henry to the Math Department and Mr. Kevin Forsyth to Business Department.
- The Halton Regional Police finished off our week Kick-Starting their POLICE ACADEMICS PROGRAM where all grade 9s and 10s spent a half day in interactive workshops with our police officers learning valuable information to assist them with safely navigating High School. Distracted Driving, Role of a Community Liaison Officer, Drug Awareness, Human Trafficking and Internet Safety the sessions each attended.
- For our rural students, late busses have started and depart Pearson at 5:00pm each school day. See our school website for details about stops and map lbp.hdsb.ca
New for this year -
- School Announcements can now be sent to every student and staff member through a text messaging system called REMIND. This is optional and requires a recipient to have text with attachment included in their phone plan to avoid any costs. Students signed up for this during our grade assemblies this week and we will be going live with this on Monday. All students were given the option of using their email address instead, and as usual, announcements will still be posted daily to our school website ( lbp.hdsb.ca), and caf and concourse monitors.
- Water-bottle filling stations have replaced water fountains outside the cafeteria and gymnasium.
- Our timetable has 5 periods scheduled throughout the day with 4 minutes for travel time between classes.
- All classes are in the school building as they all can now be accommodated in the one building.
Upcoming Events -
1. SOCIAL MEDIA AWARENESS FOR ALL
I share the attached scan from the OPINION Section of the Hamilton Spectator. This article highlights the concern many parents share around cyberbullying and how social media now affects our children's lives. We encourage all our parents and guardians, along with their sons and daughters to attend the upcoming :
CHRIS VOLLUM's SOCIAL MEDIA AWARENESS Evening. Thursday September 25th at 7:00pm in LBP CAF
Please bring along your cell phone or tablet with you for this interactive session.
Hosted by our LBP School Council
2. Grade 9 CURRICULUM NIGHT
Join our staff and students as we share an evening of information for parents and guardians about High School and to experience their son or daughter's timetable for semester 1.
Our PEP crew will also be here to lead you in an activity the grade 9s participated in and our Student Parliament will have the Club Fair on display for you to see the afterschool activities Pearson staff and students offer. Grade 9 Curriculum Night : Thursday September 11th 7:00 - 8:25pm in LBP CAF
3. School Council Meeting - all welcome SCHOOL COUNCIL - Thursday September 23 @ 7:00pm in the SCHOOL LIBRARY